Wednesday, November 19, 2008

introducing big mama


My cousin, Terry, and I decided to have a crafty sleepover party this week. We had both been so inspired by the snowmen bottles in Cloth Paper Scissors that we had to try them. This is the first of 11 snow people I'm sharing with you this week. We called her Big Mama because it just sort of fit. Her base is a small glass flower vase and the head is made from air dry prang clay. The rest is a huge assortment of treasures from my stash. It took us a couple of hours just to dig out everything we wanted to use to create our snow families. She has a vintage felt bird on her hat that is fashioned out of a rusty washer and plastic plumbing piece. Her scarf is a feather boa and her wings are real feathers. Her eyes are made of brads and her nose is a game piece. She has a rub-on sentiment down at the bottom and some beaded trim and millinery flowers finish off her ensemble. Of course she is covered in vintage chunky glitter to add the touch of snow everywhere.

What a wonderful time we had getting glitter, glue, and feathers all over everything. We decided that we now see why people make dolls. These little snow people took on such personalities as we created them. I have pictures of Terry's snow people to share also, since she doesn't have a blog yet. She needs one, though. It was so much fun to create together, it's been too many years since we did that. We learned to sew together when we were in Kindergarten with our first sewing machines. Terry is a much more accomplished seamstress than I am, but working with these little people was a great equalizer. We live about a day's drive away from each other, but something tells me that we'll be making that drive more often now that our kids are teens and young adults.

It's been an amazing week for me. My hubby swept me away to San Diego this weekend for our 18th anniversary. We spent an entire day in the art museums at Balboa Park. We ate every single yummy thing our hearts desired and filled up our wells with beautiful inspiration. The weather was picture perfect and it is such a vibrant city. I think my muse really loved the museums. She has lots of ideas now.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY HEAVENS I love BIG MAMA! I so so so want to have a sleep over with you and so these! TOTALLY ROCKS!

So glad you and hubby had a wonderful time!

Loobylou said...

She looks like she is frosted in sugar. Just delightful, and what wonderful memories you made playing with your cousin.
I think you found your muse!
Sarah

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Big Mama is smokin' hot!!! She is so cute and I LOVE her huge smile! And love her hat! She is the cat's meow....

How fun!!!!
And Happy Anniversary..

Anonymous said...

You were here?? sniff sniff boo hoo..Wish I could have seen you. I would have loved an anniversary dinner with the two of you. :)

christie said...

Oh Tami she is beautiful!!! I just love her! She makes me want to snuggle by a fire!

christie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sherri Thacker said...

WOWSERS! I love Big Mama. I can't wait to see more. That is so cool!! Sherri

Lesa said...

She is Fabulous, Mahvelous, just gorgeeeous Darling. I can see you found your Muse again Tami! Happy belated anniversary to you and Curtis. Hugs}}