Monday, February 4, 2008

Getting to Know You....


When I was a young teen my mom started taking me to the theater. She is one of those amazing people who believe that you should try everything in life once and if you like it, do it again. There is a small disclaimer she always includes in this statement - as long as it isn't immoral or illegal. Mom loves the theater, so we have been many times. I can remember the very first time she took me to LA to the big theater to see The King and I with Yul Brynner. What an absolutely magical experience. We even had lunch at the Brown Derby first. I remember nearly every detail of that day.

Last year Mom and I took a trip to NYC with my son to see his first real Broadway show. He chose Tarzan, which wasn't our first choice. But really you can't go wrong with a Broadway musical. It was a magical night. The theater had the fancy gilt and heavy velvet curtains and amazing sets and all the magic. He fell in love with the theater that night, I could see it in his beaming face.

So, this summer Mom bought tickets to the local series of broadway shows for she, Kyle, and I . We went to the first one in the early fall, West Side Story . Then the second in the series was Seussical the Musical. None of us had seen it. We were so excited, but Mom was hospitalized earlier that week. She couldn't go with us. My husband took her place and we enjoyed a magical show. But, I missed her terribly.

Yesterday was the third of the musical series, The King and I that I fell in love with those many years ago. Mom was not able to join us due to her poor health. Kyle's adorable friend Julia, went with us yesterday on Mom's suggestion. She and Kyle both had these amazing huge grins on their faces at intermission. They were falling in love with the theater and The King and I. Julia said that she had never been to an amazing show like this before, and it made my heart happy that we could be there to share it with her. By the time the play was over I had no makeup on any part of my face. I cried for Anna, I cried for the King, and I cried because Mom wasn't there to share this magical day with us.

7 comments:

K Hutchinson said...

Theater is magical! I love it! So glad that you go have a great time with Kyle and his friend! Hopefully mom will be able to go with you again soon!

Heather Grow said...

What a great experience. I love the theatre too.

Alison Gibbs said...

What a wonderful way to introduce them to the theatre.
Alison

Lesa said...

She was with you in heart. Your mother sounds like a fascinating woman. Continually sending healing thoughts her way.

OldBagNewTricks said...

Tami, my mom had much the same approach -- she took us to everything, every museum, opera, park, play, canoe rental, musical. We fished and skated and crawled through caves. And I wanted to give it all to my son and now my grandson. Now that my mom isn't here... I miss that she's missing it. I miss that my grandson is missing her and doesn't know it. Hooray for you for giving you son the theater, for carrying on. Hooray!

Jenny

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Your post gave me goosebumps--really, and they are still hanging on. What nice memories for everyone. Oh, to see the King and I and West Side Story in theatre would be awesome. When I saw the Lion King in the Toronto Theatre, I actually cried because I was in so much awe. I've been to several theatre shows (Phantom, Miss Siagon), but that Lion King really blew me over. By the way, I got my asian charms. Thanks. I love them so much!

Debbie said...

I know what you mean about the theater. I, too, introduced my son to the theater at a young age. He and I enjoy going so much. The last production we saw was "Wicked" in LA. Go see it! It is fantastic!!