Saturday, August 29, 2009

first week of high school

I've been afraid to say anything to jinx this magical beginning of high school, but I can't wait any longer to tell you. Kyle loves high school so far. Every single day this week he got up by himself, got ready, including brushing his teeth without me reminding him, and walked to school on time. I must admit that I was on pins and needles all day the first day until he got home. He came in smiling and talking. The first words out of his mouth were about his great math teacher and how cool he is and how he teaches math the way I understand. Music to my ears. I've been hoping for this day for a long time. Math's been a struggle and a drudgery for him for so long. He likes most of his teachers and has a nice schedule of classes. The funniest part of the week was about lunch. He has lunch with his best friend and they were sitting over away from most of the crowd to talk about a video game. He said there was a boy and girl there who were intertwined in ways it was embarrassing to talk about to me. His friend's comment was "oh good, lunch and a show". Just cracked me up. I guess they're getting a fast education in many ways. So, we have a reading list for english and are going to the bookstore this weekend to pick up The Odyssey, Romeo and Juliet, and To Kill a Mockingbird. Curtis and I are going to read them, too, since we can't really remember if we read them or not. Should make for interesting dinner conversation. Oh, and I only cried once this week when we chopped the onions for salsa.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Yahoo! That's great news! My son is enjoying being back at school as well...well, minus the up so early part (and truth be told, I'm not liking that part either!). Its such a joy to see our kidlets happy, isn't it?! :>:>

OldBagNewTricks said...

Did my comment come through?