Thursday, August 13, 2009

just call me Lucy


There are moments in my life when I have to laugh and wonder if this is really my life. Last night I was presented with one of those moments. My adorable husband has dreamt of owning some sort of RV for many years. My son and I laugh about the movie RV and just go on. Well, after all this time he was presented with an opportunity to make his dream a reality. Since we aren't earning any interest to talk about on our cash reserves, we used some of it for his dream trailer. Let's just call it our part of helping stimulate the economy.

So, it's been sitting in the driveway or garage for just over a week now. I knew the clock was ticking. It was like a little time bomb out there counting down my carefree days of sleeping in a normal bed and taking a hot shower in the privacy of my own bathroom. I started in the afternoon making trips out to the camper to load it up with essentials like kleenex, tinfoil, playing cards, paper plates, sheets, towels, etc. I must have made 50 trips out to the driveway. Adorable hubby comes home and starts flitting around like a mad man adding to the camper. I have no idea what he's putting in there, but it seemed like everything in the house to me.

Just before dark he starts hooking it up to his car. That goes ok, but the car is now half way out in the road. I said you can't leave it like that all night. He argues with me and then the next thing I know he's moving it just as I'm about to step into the trailer to put something else in it. I jump out of the way. He pulls out and then backs in and out and in and out for about 5 times until he gets it just right running along in front of the driveway in the wrong direction. He's working this morning and we leave early this afternoon. Kyle informed me last night that they packed an extra fishing pole for me. I'm going to yoga to find my peaceful zen place before we embark on this adventure. I can only imagine how many is this really my life moments I'll experience this weekend. I hope we don't end up like Lucy and Ricky.

7 comments:

thimbles bobbins paper and ink said...

I love it! Ha haaaaaa! I can hardly wait until you return from the big adventure and tell us the tales you've experienced.

I've watched the Lucy and Ricky movie, The long, long trailer, many times.

A word of advice...don't collect rocks! (bolders!)

Have fun and check back in when you return!

:)

Debbie said...

That is the funniest movie. I love it when she collects all those rocks. Reminds me of John when we vacation and he collects all his rocks, only they aren't as big as Lucy's. I know your weekend will be fun and relaxing. It's just a little stressful the first time and you know men have to be men...

Karen said...

LOL! :> Tami, what a fun post! You had me smiling on this RV tale o' yours. And I'm really looking forward to hearing about some of those "is this really my life" moments that you are sure you will encounter! Oh yea, go fishing!! I used to love going out with my Dad and my younger brother when I was a kid. I was usually the only girl there (we'd get up early for the early bird boat specials). I also always took a BOOK! So, I would fish and read and be careful just how I dropped my book when I'd get a bite to reel in. And you know what? I always brought home the most fish!!! (However, I also refused to clean them. Catch them and eat them.....no scales for me!)

I hope yoga brought you some zen and your toes out of the way of the moving RV! :>

Anonymous said...

te he he! This made me laugh, I can just picture it now! I hope you have a great weekend! Can't wait to hear how your trip goes!

Lesa said...

LOL. I cannot wait to hear your adventures and am hoping some pics will be included. :)

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Too darn funny!!!!!!
But truth be told, I wish my husband got an RV! We tent camp when we camp and I think it is sooo soooo darn 'hard' and dirty, and yucky and too close to nature now that I am older and wiser. I wish for an RV...

ps.. My Mother In Law collects rocks and bricks... My dh got to help his parents move from AZ back to CA.. He was in charge of loading up her collection!!! I think he would shoot me if I did the same:)

Have fun!
Deep Yoga breaths to you..

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

I'll try my post again:)
This post just cracked me up... First, I wish my dh got an RV for our camping trips! He is the type that want's to be out in the middle of nowhere, in a tent... We have had all sorts of adventures: Grizzly bears, Yahoo Hunters shooting deer in our camp, etc... I would feel so much safer in an RV - and more cozy!!

And, my mother in law collects rocks and bricks! My dh got to help my in-laws move from AZ back to CA and he got to haul all the rocks and bricks... I'm sure he would freak if I took up the same hobby!!!

Have a great trip - and do some deep yoga breathing... Remember, it could always be worse, right??? I mean, you could be sleeping on rocks, and mosquitoes could be eating you raw...