Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Trying for a bit of normalcy

We are still evacuated and the fires are still burning out of control. Today we are trying to have some normal life, because I just can't take this crisis mode again today. So, I'm taking Kyle to the doc this morning for routine stuff and we are going out to lunch at our favorite BBQ place. This afternoon, I'm getting my hair cut and my mom is taking Kyle to a spooky gingerbread house decorating class at Michael's.

Hubby will be off work for 4 days starting tomorrow and no school until further notice. We are talking about going to a hotel for a bit to get out from underfoot here. With nearly a million people evacuated on So. Cal, that may be a pipe dream. I don't know if there are any hotel rooms available, and don't know where the air would be any better. Maybe the desert is the place to go.

We got good news late yesterday that 3 friends homes that were in the fire areas have been saved. There are many more we don't know about. Our home is still standing as is our neighborhood. We are still in danger, but so far so good. So, I'm going to live a bit in denial today and see if I can't get away from the news for a few hours. Thanks everyone for your well wished, prayers, and concern. It really helps.

5 comments:

Sandy said...

I'm so glad you're still okay! We'll be praying. Go get yourself some "normal" time for sure---can you take a mini vacation and get out of the area entirely? It's not as if there's anything you can do...and I bet the fires are not on the news nearly as much in another place as they are at home. :)

Anonymous said...

my thoughts are with you. i know that this is a very scary time, as we have family that is evacuated as well. i hope that your home and the homes of others stay safe as the fire fighters to their best and what they do best. bug hugs...jen del muro

Dymphie said...

Hugs to you! It's all over the news here too (Netherlands). Hope you will stay safe and that the fires are soon over.

christie said...

Tami I'm glad to hear you went out and did some "normal" stuff today. I hope that it gave you a little time to relax and get your mind off of the fires. Thanks so much for the update. Praying that you and your home stay safe.

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Hi Tami..
It just blows me away at how huge this fire is! Amazing... scary, and just plain horrific...
I'm glad you are turning 'off' the news... take it easy.. live one day at a time....
Prayers your way...